Weekly round-up and open thread, 23 August 2011
Helen G // 23 August 2011
Better late than punctual, here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- More than 5,400 women ‘missing’ from 26,000 top posts in Britain (The Guardian)
- Women face 70-year wait for top jobs equality (The Independent)
- It’s easy to say you’ll die to prevent rape, will you live to prevent rape? (Ami Angelwings’ Super Cute Rants of DOOOM…)
- A disquieting silence (Fearless Press) *TRIGGER WARNING: BDSM, abuse, consent*
- When “sex-positive” is a euphemism for “male gaze” (Maybe Days) *NOT SUITABLE FOR WORK although no images*
- A diet book for six-year-old girls: the worst idea ever? (The Guardian)
- What’s wrong with heteronormativity? (OU online)
- A blog exploring the hypothesis that UK newspapers believe that only attractive girls in low cut tops do A-levels (sexyalevels.tumblr.com)
- Zara accused in Brazil sweatshop enquiry (The Guardian)
- ‘Rotis Not Riots’ Offers England Food for Thought (Womens E-News)
- Top 10 Things That Women Invented (HowStuffWorks)
- Feminism, Colonialism and Islamophobia: Treacherous Sympathy with Muslim Women (Qantara.de)
- PETA Plans A Porn Site (Huffington Post)
- (The Guardian)
- On the choice to be an incubator (Milena Popova)
- How not to apologise after insulting someone on Twitter (The Next Web)
- The latest trend according to Vogue: “Slave Earrings” (Lola Adesioye)
- Catherine Hakim: charm school marm – interview with Zoe Williams (The Guardian)
- Sex Can Also Get Better, Not Worse, With Age (Women’s eNews)
- Pumping-Beauty Now, Pay Dearly For It Later (TransAdvocate)
- A rape culture 101, for the unsure (Ray Filar, Political Correctness Gone Mad blog)
This week’s closing music vid is Willie Mae “Big Mama” Thornton’s version of Hound Dog, written by Mike Stoller and Jerry Lieber, who died yesterday:
[Public domain image ‘The Earth seen from Apollo 17’ via Wikipedia]