Dear David Walliams

// 12 September 2011

Tags: , , , , , ,

a sign in the shape of a red arrow affixed to a red brick wall, with the word rant on it in white letters; the start of the word has clearly been cut off

So, you swam the length of the river Thames to raise a million pounds for poor kids in Africa. What better way to be hailed a national hero? Congratulations.

Sadly, a hero in my eyes you are not.

Just how many millions did you make out of the nasty, spiteful, ageist, classist, transphobic, ableist bullshit that was Little Britain? Why not donate one of those millions to Africa? After all, it’s much easier to mock pensioners with incontinence, trans women and wheelchair users than battle through shit-infused waters for days on end.

You might be giving with one hand (flipper?), but you’ve spent years taking away with the other, fuelling prejudices that are at the heart of the discrimination, violence and poverty experienced by thousands of people across this country every day.

So excuse me if my congratulations come across as a tad insincere; I just don’t think you deserve any better.

Image cropped from photo by Nesster, shared under a Creative Commons licence.

Philippa Willitts // Posted 12 September 2011 at 11:15 pm

Great post Laura, I completely agree.

Lucy // Posted 13 September 2011 at 12:38 am

I think every breastfeeding parent is also really thankful for having ‘Biddies!’ yelled at them. Like breastfeeding needed more societal discouragment. What an arse.

Jane Fae // Posted 13 September 2011 at 1:24 am

Thank you for that, Laura. Yes…with every passing month, i find myself more and more revolted by Walliams’ odious brand of borrowed victimhood.

Maybe i am missing a point here. Maybe he will turn out to be some sort of tortured soul: i’ll have to wait for the unofficial biog to find out.

Somehow, however, i doubt it.

jane

Tricia L // Posted 13 September 2011 at 1:59 pm

Can’t stand the guy, and Little Britain was an utterly dreadful show, well said.

Claire Donnelly // Posted 13 September 2011 at 3:45 pm

I also completely agree. Also, you left out racist- amazing how versatile that show could be, huh (I’m thinking specifically of that “thai bride” character).

Laura // Posted 13 September 2011 at 10:13 pm

@ Claire: I haven’t seen all that many episodes and had forgotten that one, delightful stuff.

Did anyone see their Airport series that started last Christmas? It was appallingly bad and horribly embarrassing – apparently grown white men dressing up as Japanese schoolgirls, making slitty eyes, giggling feverishly and doing a classic racist approximation of the Japanese language is JUST hilarious.

Helen Johnson // Posted 14 September 2011 at 10:10 am

Hi Laura,

How can we possibly know that he hasn’t donated a lot of money to comic relief and been gracious enough not to make a song and dance about it? I don’t think we can.

Laura // Posted 14 September 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hi Helen – We can’t! But even if he had, it doesn’t make up for Little Britain – he’d need to specifically acknowledge and apologise for all the nastiness in it and then start making amends targeted at supporting those he has hurt. I can’t see that happening…