Weekly Round-Up and Open Thread, 9th January 2012
Philippa Willitts // 9 January 2012
Here’s this week’s open thread and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had the time or capacity to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains hyperlinks to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- From the Guardian, Afghan girl, 15, tortured by in-laws for resisting prostitution
- From Skepchick, 13 Myths and Misconceptions about Trans Women: Part One
- Fat Hatred Kills: Resolution Season from this ain’t livin’
- More from the Guardian, Tesco denies rethink on backing for gay pride festival
- There’s a petition to have a Sexual Assault Referral Centre in every town and city in the country
- At Happy Bodies, The Sexualization of Female Sports Figures
- Broken Rainbow are a domestic violence charity, and they are looking for a transgender worker
- From Polytical, Why (my) Polyamory is Feminist
- Gaby Hinsliff in the Guardian reports on Tory feminists: the true blue sisterhood. The Guardian also ask if Margaret Thatcher was a feminist icon.
- A group of women in Lincolnshire, aware of the lack of a Rape Crisis centre, are setting one up themselves, from BBC News Lincolnshire.
- Rise and Decolonize – PDX Rings in 2012, and Salsa and Sexism: Are You Mouthing Misogyny?, both from Racialicious
- From The Jane Dough, UK Town Makes Even Street Signs Gender Neutral and Number Of Female Political Candidates Jumps By 2/3 In Brazil
- It’s Bigger Than Your Womanhood from The Transadvocate
- From the Women’s Media Center, Occupying the Occupy Movement
- Advocate.com report that the Suicide Rate for Trans Women Denied Implants Alarming
- Cathy Newman for Channel 4 factchecks the boom and bust of cosmetic surgery in the UK
- Dean Atta, on Soundcloud, with I Am Nobody’s Nigger
- Jean Hannah Edelstein tries to help out Stephen Hawking with his mystification about women
- More from the Guardian, Jamaica will become a republic, new prime minister vows, and news that PIP breast implants can be removed for free on the NHS
[The image is a close-up photograph of a kitchen whisk. It was taken by Jeff Golden and is used under a Creative Commons Licence]