Weekly round-up and open thread, 8 May 2012
Helen G // 8 May 2012
A day late and a dollar short but here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- First Person: Breaking the Chains of Religious Tradition (Religion News)
- Start Improving the World: Goodbye, Gender Across Borders (Gender Across Borders)
- Are there such things as mugging myths? (You Oughta Know)
- Girlhood explained online (Eva Wiseman, Guardian Life & style)
- WTF Files: Samsung’s “Too Smart For Amy” Camera Ad (Bitch Magazine)
- Court rejects student Tom Martin’s claim of anti-male bias at London School of Economics (Camden New Journal)
- Self-Defense and the Criminalization of Survival (Trans Women’s Anti-Violence Project)
- A Historical Guide To Hipster Racism (Racialicious)
- Domestic abuse: rugby star Adam Jones urges men to speak out (BBC Wales news)
- Ched Evans rape case: 13th arrest made over naming victim (Guardian)
- Wish’s submission to Leveson: discriminatory representation of women with MH needs; women offenders (Leveson Inquiry – direct link to PDF)
- Who are the men’s rights activists? (Forty Shades of Grey)
- Fat is a prejudice issue (Guardian Cif)
- Light bulb moment (Inside Housing)
- Politics at the Tip of the Clitoris: Why, in Fact, Do They Hate Us? ()
- Op-ed: CeCe McDonald Was Punished for Surviving (Mara Keisling, The Advocate)
- Ska pioneer Lloyd Brevett dies (BBC News, Entertainment)
- Beastie Boys star Adam Yauch dies aged 48 (BBC News, Entertainment)
- Companies pull ads from Village Voice Media to protest child sex trafficking (Deseret News)
- Why is there so much misogyny online? (Guardian Cif)
- Let me tell you a story of being harassed by the police whilst not quite being naked… (reclaimthecunt)
- In Search of Stripper Solidarity (Rachel Aimee, In These Times)
- France drops sex harassment law, angers feminists (Reuters)
This week’s closing video is “Mood For Ska” by Laurel Aitken & The Skatalites: