Are you The F-Word’s next features editor?
Jess McCabe // 4 August 2012
The F-Word is looking for two volunteers take on and transform our features section.
Applicants should be based in the UK. The current editorial team and collective are still majority white, middle class, and benefit from various other types of privilege, and I want to particularly encourage applications from all backgrounds, particularly those not so well represented at the moment.
I’m looking to appoint two features editors to join our team of section editors.
What the roles will involve:
- taking on responsibility for the features section
- sourcing ideas for features and interviews
- commissioning features, encouraging new voices from a range of backgrounds and diverse perspectives
- dealing with the features that come in through the submissions pile
- editing features (prior experience as an editor/subeditor/proofreader will be a distinct advantage, particularly experience of working with a set style guide)
- posting features (familiarity with blogging platforms is an advantage here, as is at least basic HTML)
- moderating comments on the features
- promoting features
- working in a team with the other features editor, and with the art editor
- working with me (the editor of The F-Word), the other section editors and The F-Word blog collective where necessary
You must be:
- enthusiastic about this role and the opportunities to develop The F-Word’s features section. It is a volunteer position, so some time, energy and regular internet access is required
- ideally have some editing experience, as you will be working with submissions from an extremely broad range of contributors: some who have never written for publication before, while others are experienced journalists. Submissions need to be given a critical edit, making sensitive suggestions to the author and offering some guidance where needed. Submissions must also be edited in line with our style guide, so some experience in working with a house style is an advantage.
To apply: please email me (email@example.com) with a brief message setting out: why you want to take on the role and any prior experience. Please also briefly explain how you would like to see The F-Word’s features section develop.
I am also asking for two references: section editors need to have access to and maintain our database of contributors, which includes sensitive information such as the full names and addresses. For that reason, this additional step is needed for those who are going to be dealing with this confidential data (particularly for those writing about sensitive issues under pseudonyms). Please include the contact details of two references – feel free to email me if you have questions on who would be a suitable reference, this doesn’t necessarily have to be a work-type reference.
The deadline for applications is 3 September.
Photo of typewriter keys by geoftheref, shared on Flickr under a Creative Commons license