Weekly round-up and open thread, 7 October 2013
Helen G // 7 October 2013
Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
CONTENT WARNING: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- Chvrches’ Lauren Mayberry: ‘I will not accept online misogyny’ (Guardian, Music)
- Why should you support the teachers’ strike? (#teacherROAR)
- Councils using zero hours, casual staff and the work programme (False Economy)
- Rick Owens sends a bevy of thick, black women down the runway. Progress? (Racialicious)
- Rape Crisis reports 40% rise in calls since Savile scandal (BBC News)
- Tips for David Cameron on how to be a feminist (sian and crooked rib)
- Porn On the Brain… Whether You Like It or Not (Huffington Post UK)
- Amplifying Women in the Recording Industry (Colorlines)
- On Working Together Over Time (The Advocate)
- New “feminist publication” in town, advocating forced sterilisation no less (Red Light Politics)
- “Calling your cuts a war, is an insult to my father, and to my brother, and the service they gave this country. This is not a war. It is a massacre.” Conservative Party address, Jack Monroe. (A girl called Jack)
- TW: Discussion of suicide, police violence, mental breakdown
Activist Burnout I: An Anatomy (The Fementalists)
- Nordic children’s ombudsmen take historic step to protect children’s rights (National Secular Society)
- Fathers Are the Key to Ending Child Marriage (Huffington Post)
- Not my story – a public one (Ending Victimisation & Blame)
- Is This the Grossest Advertising Strategy of All Time? (The Atlantic)
- No ‘honour’ in killing young women, it’s a hate crime (Media Diversity UK)
- The Freak-Out Artist: Julian from Real Social Dynamics takes gaslighting to a new level (man boobz)
- Gloria Steinem – Trans Ally? (TransGriot)
- Activists push for global ban on stoning (Thomson Reuters Foundation)
Image attribution and description: The image at the head of this post is called flow. It shows some autumnal oak leaves floating in a stream and was found at ben matthews Flickr photostream. It is used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic license.