Weekly round-up and open thread, 6 January 2014
Helen G // 6 January 2014
Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
CONTENT WARNING: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
- How To Break The Ice With Little Girls That Doesn’t Involve Commenting On Their Appearance (Role/Reboot)
- New Year’s Honours List features more women than men for the first time (BBC News)
- Cockblocked by Redistribution: A Pick-up Artist in Denmark (Dissent Magazine)
- Make poverty history: support the European Citizens’ initiative for an unconditional basic income (Ruth Jacobs)
- Where were all the lesbians in Queer as Pop? (Guardian, Cif)
- Hood Feminist (In These Times)
- On the Fallout from Woman’s Hour (Black Feminists)
- Cambodian police fire on striking garment workers (Guardian, World news)
- Men’s rights activists call for rape ‘accuse-a-thon’ to smear sex assault victims advocate (The Raw Story)
- A call from the midwife: Why I am resigning after ten years in the NHS (Independent)
- Living the consequences (feministkilljoys)
- 10 Ways That White Feminist and White Anti-Racism Allies Are Abusive To Me In Social Media (Gradient Lair)
- Transgender woman shocked after court officials put ‘takes all sorts’ note on divorce papers (Herald Scotland)
- Hollywood Movies With Strong Female Roles Make More Money (Vocativ)
- Words, Words, Words: On Toxicity and Abuse in Online Activism (Nuclear Unicorn)
- David Cameron’s internet porn filter is the start of censorship creep (Guardian, Cif)
- Surge in student feminism: Meet the new generation of ‘bold, hilarious feminists’ (Telegraph, Women)
- CeCe McDonald to Be Released From Prison (The Advocate)
- Review of the Year: Victim Blaming in the media (Ending Victimisation & Blame)
- Body as a Second Language: Navigating Queer Girl Culture on the Autism Spectrum (Autostraddle)
This week’s closing video is Letter to a Minnesota Prison (unplugged) by AJ McKenna. A transcript is available here.
Image attribution: The image at the head of this post is called Ripples. It was found at Laura Billings’ Flickr photostream and is used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic license.