Weekly round-up and open thread
Josephine Tsui // 8 December 2014
We’re counting down to the end of the year. Here’s this week’s round-up and open thread. Here we include links that we found interesting. Linking does not mean endorsement. Please tread carefully if there are topics that may cause trigger.
If there are any links we’ve missed, feel free to post them in the comments below.
- What Girls Are Good For: 20-Year-Old Nellie Bly’s 1885 Response to a Patronizing Chauvinist (Brainpickings)
- The length of my skirt is none of your business (The Independent)
- I read 50 books by people of color this year (Bitch Media)
- Monica Jones: from transgender social worker to national threat (Guardian)
- Nigel Farage says breastfeeding women should sit in a corner (Guardian)
- NEW MUSIC: ‘Public Unrest’ – the new AFROPUNK mixtape (Afropunk) [F-Word blogger, Stephanie Phillips‘ band Big Joanie is featured on this new Afro Punk mixtape alongside Neneh Cherry and Mykki Blanco!]
- This Pregnant Woman Just Delivered The Most Epic Smackdown To Anti-Abortion Protesters (Huffington Post)
- [Filmed by former F-Word guest Sunny Hundal]
- It Wasn’t Just the Chokehold: Eric Garner, Daniel Pantaleo and Lethal Police Tactics (NY Times)
- The new online porn regulations and how they disproportionately affect women (Another Angry Woman)
- No spanking or bondage: why the government’s new porn laws are arbitrary and sexist (New Statesman)
- Jian Ghomeshi harassed me on the job. Why did our radio station look the other way? (Guardian)
- An Open Letter to Kate Pierson, From a Trans Woman and Fan, About Your New ‘Trans Anthem’ Attempt (Huffington Post)
The illustration is of grafitti on a wall picturing a small girl sitting on her feet, blowing a red flower which turns into hearts blown in the wind. Thanks bixentro for the photo! The photo was used under the creative commons license.